Wednesday, September 06, 2006

"The Immortal Game" by David Shenk

There is a nice National Public Radio interview with David Shenk, author of the recently released The Immortal Game: A History of Chess, or How 32 Carved Pieces on a Board Illuminated Our Understanding of War, Art, Science and the Human Brain (available through Amazon at $17.16). This may be the most well-promoted chess history book in living memory, and I wish it great success, though I have not yet received my own review copy.... But I guess my blog doesn't generate the same readership as ABC News or The Chicago Sun Times. Bill Wall got his and has a very positive review. I'll tell you more once I read it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Michael:

Thanks for the tip. Don't feel bad, I didn't get a review copy either. I have added a bit on the topic as well at

http://chessdad64.journalspace.com/?entryid=214

best chess regards,

Michael Goeller said...

Actually, I got my review copy the next day, as I just wrote to author David Shenk by e-mail. He had e-mailed me personally to ask if I still needed a review copy, believe it or not...

This is a thoroughly well-promoted chess book, let me tell ya!

I should have a review and some thoughts on chess history up later this week.

Michael Goeller said...

I have now posted a longer review and commentary title The Immortal Game and Chess History.